MKC IN SCHOOLS
How does MKC work in schools?
In classrooms, or as an extension/extra-curricular activity
You can choose whether to:
…run the program in your Year 6 or 7 classroom(s), hitting curriculum metrics in HaSS (Business & Economics), Mathematics (Financial Maths) and General Capabilities (Critical and Creative Thinking),
…or as an academic extension or after-school program, where the focus is less on curriculum deliverables and more on creating an amazing future-proofing experience for your students.
Whichever you choose, schools receive:
- Access to our Educator Program, which contains all lesson plans, content delivered via pre-recorded video (so there’s no PD or teacher training required), marking tools, and communications templates,
- Access to our Learner Program, which allow students to re-watch lessons outside of school, and
- Support from the Maker Kids Club team to answer any tricky questions your aspiring ‘kidpreneurs’ come up with, like ‘Do I need insurance?’ or ‘How do I get my kitchen certified?’
The course contains 14 lessons. You can choose to run that for one period a week over 14 weeks, or condense it into one 10-week term (this just means more work on the business is done at home).
A typical lesson includes:
- Watching a training video (6-20 minutes) – that’s Lacey’s enthusiastic talking head!
- Discussing the content following the lesson plan, and
- Student group work to complete the activity sheet accompanying the lesson.
Lesson 10 marks Launch Week, when you’ll host a market at your school. This typically lines up with the end of school term.
Options for when and where to run the market are endless. Schools have paired them with end of term assembly, sports carnivals, fetes or held the market as a special after-school event. You can choose an option that works for your school.
(Interested in what the content covers? See our Success Path at the bottom of the page for an overview of the stages and lessons.)
Choose the Package that suits your school:
Click the package size below that best suits your needs.
You’ll be taken to our Learning Management System (LMS) site at https://makerkids.education/ to learn more and sign up when you’re ready:
Not quite ready?
Perhaps you’d like to learn more about the case for teaching enterprise skills, how to do it, and what Maker Kids Club does first?
In that case, enrol for our FREE Teacher Professional Learning course, open till 31 January 2020. The course includes six lessons with 50 minutes of videos and fabulous handouts.
The Maker Kids Club Success Path
Here are the stages and lessons your students will work through as they launch their own micro-businesses, learning enterprise skills and money smarts along the way: